1. Read small amounts over a continuous period rather than big lumps intermittently.
2. Read it in the same way as you watch a film, ie, go with the flow.
3. Don’t try to analyse it or identify all the references as you’re reading.
4. Enjoy the humour (yes, there’s a lot of humour in it, though not of the laugh out loud kind).
5. Highlight the sections you find most enjoyable or interesting and use stick-it notes to bookmark the pages, so that you can find your way back to them.
You can also watch the 1967 film of it on YouTube.